Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Walmart & My Multi-tasker

I think my multi-tasker in my brain is broken.  And if you know me, you know this is a BIG problem.  I was in Walmart today, and I was having this realization that my multi-tasker was slowly sputtering...and dying.  (I'm not sure if Walmart is a good place to have these realizations?)  This was the script of my thoughts:
"What time is it?"
"4:15"
"What time is Chip getting the kids?"
"What time do I need to leave here?"
"What am I doing here?"
"Am I getting stuff for October's J-Train?"
"Maybe I am getting stuff for the Wednesday night classes we have going on?"
"Am I getting things for home? I think we need toilet paper."
"So what am I doing here?"
"What time is it?"
"4:25"
"Oh man, I don't have time to be here.  Life group starts at 6:30, we have the kids unexpectedly, I have no clue what I am fixing for dinner, and there is a yard sale in my dining room."

My thoughts continued like this for a little while, but I will spare you the crazy circles my mind wandered in since it had no leadership from my multi-tasker that had died a painful death.  I did end up forcing myself to put some things in my cart which included 3 totes (??), chicken lasagna, toilet paper (whew! glad I remembered that one), and Greek yogurt (thanks Allison!)  I headed home where I took a minute to sit and think (no multi-tasking involved.)  I quickly realized two things: 1.  I had forgotten pull-ups (doh!) and 2. that I would have to be back at Walmart at 7am in the morning to get all the items that I couldn't force my brain to process and list for me. 

Oh well.  The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "There's an opportune time to do things, a right time for everything on earth."  The right time for me to go to Walmart was NOT this afternoon.  Better luck tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I think i am going to enjoy reading your blogs! Maybe I should do one too. Kind of like a journal...good place to get your thoughts down. I probably wont inspire and encourage people like you do because i dont have kids and husbands puking on my floor and pull ups to buy at walmart..hehe :) (can u imagine if you still had josey and she got into the puke bucket?) hahaha...okay, ill stop. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete